Friday, May 29, 2009

Earth Friendly Products

As some of you may already know, I have been trying to become more “green”. I have replaced all of our household cleaners with Vinegar and Baking soda. I have replaced our laundry detergent with a more environmentally friendly product. We now have bins in our kitchen for cardboards and plastics.
One more change looms ahead in our future. Yes, we are a bit scared. Yes, it’s a smidge overwhelming. Some days we talk about turning back and running full speed. You know what I’m talking about…cloth diapers.
I had toyed with the idea before I had my miscarriage last summer. Steven thought that I had either gone crazy or it was the hormones.
Then with this pregnancy I just tossed the idea aside. I mean who cares that it takes a disposable diaper 500 years to decompose, it’s just so much easier, and I LOVE pampers swaddlers.
Well, I’ve been running along side the bandwagon again, so to speak. I’m not completely on yet, but I’m headed in that direction.
I have done so much research online, I have just about confused myself. Lucky for me, there is a local cloth-diapering store in town that gives a class I like to call “diapering for dummies”. I went to said class a few weeks ago and have been high on cloth ever since. My biggest fear was the laundry. We have a HE washer and I just didn’t know how that would work, but she explained it all and it really doesn’t seem that bad.
The last cloth diaper I used was on my niece, who by the way is 18 and graduating high school. Let me just say, cloth has come a long way.
Now I just don’t know what to choose. My daycare said that they are fine with it as long as we use either an AIO or Pocket (I actually know what that means now!!). There are just so many brands to choose from. Of course, I like one of the most expensive ones. That seems to be how I roll sometimes. The other thing is that there is less to be desired in the boy print category other than camo.

So what I want to know is there any of my comrades out there that used cloth diapers? Which ones did you like? Anyone, anyone?

1 comment:

Amy said...

i have a friend that is an expert on cloth diapers and has an online store www.ittybittybabybunz.com

She sells a few brands but happy heiny's is a brand that others have recommended. Supposedly it is one size fits all so less investment. Here's a link:

http://www.ittybittybabybunz.com/cloth-diapers/happy-heiny-39-s-one-size-pockets/cat_14.html

No matter what, good luck.

(I didn't know you had miscarried last year, I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I too lost one a year before Nathan was born. It was one of the toughest things I've gone thru.)