Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The BIG ultrasound

Well, today was the day. I tossed and turned all night. I could barely stand myself until my appointment time at 1:00. I drank a bottle of orange juice before I got there so the baby would be ready to perform. I met Steven, Silas, and Steven's parents at the Dr's office and we were all ready to meet baby Bridges. Well, all except for Silas that is, he never wants to meet this baby.

The tech took us back, and told B that no photography was allowed. She took all of her measurements. The baby is completely healthy. Sie did not like Momma on the table. I think he thought they were hurting me. Daddy held him tight and assured him everything was alright. We were just taking pictures of the Monkey. Well, it didn't take long for Sie to lose interest. He spent most of the time sitting playing his preschool games on the iPhone. My toddler loves technology!

She asked us if we wanted to know the gender and we told her of course. Then I heard the words.....It's a boy. *cue the crickets*
I looked at Pam and she mouthed at me that it would be okay. Steven still hadn't heard what she said. When he realised, I felt a small pat from his hand. I just took a deep breath and asked if he was healthy and he is. She tried to take some 3-4D images, but baby boy would not cooperate. He would put a hand in front of his face the instant she tried to get a good picture for us. Not even out yet, and already a stinker. Daddy's going to have fun taking pictures of this one!!

I was shocked. We all (even my OB) thought I was carrying a girl this go around because of all of my symptoms. I admit I was very disappointed. Tears were shed when B and I were alone. However, the crying is now over. It won't happen again for this reason. I'm having another healthy, beautiful baby boy and I couldn't ask for more.

Now the name game starts. I had settled on two girl names, but boy names were thrown to the side. Hopefully we'll have chosen one by July 11!!

4 comments:

April said...

Congratulations!!! A healthy baby boy! Sorry it has taken some adjusting for you, but I do bet you'll make the adjustment and love watching your two boys play together as they grow up. Good luck with names!

Phillips Family said...

First, congrats on a sweet little boy. So happy to hear that he is doing well as he continues to "Bake"

Thanks for being so honest about your feelings. I have had a few friends who were either disappointed in the gender or over the fact they were having a 3rd or 4th child. One even refused to have a baby shower due to the fact she was so upset by their third little "suprise". Obviously none of those people could imagine their life any other way now (the friend ended up having a shower when the baby was a month old...he is four now), but the changing of the mindset was a bit hard at first.

Can't wait to see what this little boy ends up being like. Also can't wait to see if Silas acknowledges him or not upon arrival :)

Best wishes!

Amy said...

Pam's the expert on having two little boys, so I hold her comment in high regard. I feel for you, and I am proud of how you handled it. It's ok to cry. May God bless these brothers with a strong bond of friendship as well as family.

Erika said...

Thanks for the support Ladies! I really needed it. I'm proud to say that I'm doing much better, and have even started sketching out ideas for the nursery (which is a post of it's own). It's good to have friends that understand and encourage. It means so much. Thanks!