Saturday, May 31, 2008

All Aboard!

Here at the Bridges Abode we are boarding the Potty Train. I have a feeling it's going to be a long ride.
Now after that being said, I have a confession. I'm obsessed with the potty. It's all I think about, and it's quickly becoming all I talk about (hence this post :)). I really need to get a grip.
We have purchased 2 potties that can be placed on the big potty as well. Silas LOVES the potty. I think he would sit on it all day if I would let him, however I'm not that mom.
I really do not want to use Pull-ups. I'm sure it will happen here and there, but I remember from my daycare working days that they were still basically a diaper. The world of cloth training pants has changed so much since my tushy graced the vinyl covers. I remember sporting the old school whitey-tightie that strangely resembled thermal underwear on the sides and had that thick cotton goodness for absorption. Now days I find on the Internet something called an all-in-one. What the heck? I don't even know where to start! There are two brands that interest me and I'm trying to find out more about them (translation: are they worth the money). I found some Gerber training pants at the Wal-Mart. They don't seem great. There are no covers to be found.
So this weekend Silas and I are doing PBC or Potty Boot Camp. That's just fancy terminology for me running him to the bathroom every 20 min. He has yet to actually potty in the potty, but he loves the routine. This boy has the cleanest hands in Knoxville!
Anyone else have any good tips for the journey on the potty train?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Don't give up:-) Actually, we did the Gerber pants during the day then used pullups at naptime. That worked well. I have a friend who sells the fuzzi bunz trainers online at www.ittybittybabybunz.com if you are interested.

I basically put C in the trainers and cleaned up a lot of pee the first day. After each accident I asked about and described the feeling or signal that the body tells us we need to pee or poop. Oh, and M&Ms totally won her over. After a couple days we switched to Veggietales fruit snacks. 1 for tinkle 2 for poo. But everyone's story is different, so good luck!

Phillips Family said...

Isaac rode the potty training train for quite the while. He showed a lot of interest, but just could never actually produce anything in the toliet....until he started going to school and saw another girl use the potty. It was then like a mystery was solved and he finally understood exactly what we were asking him to do.

Just be patient, encouraging, and have some type of food snack to use as a reward (we use chocolate chips which we eventually phased out).

There is an "Elmo Goes to the Potty" DVD that my mom bought at a garage sale that Isaac loves and it explains the whole process.

We did use pull-ups simply because I really didn't want human waste on my couch. However, Isaac never treated them like a diaper and rarely, rarely has had an accident in them.

By the way, I just got finished mopping the bathroom floor because a little boy inisted on unbuttoning his own shorts before going to the bathroom and couldn't get them down in time. Fun. (Also, buy some cheap knit shorts with elastic that can go up and down easily)

Good luck!

Alicia said...

I got nothing. But I'll be getting back with you in a couple years to find out what worked for you :-)